NEX-LABS Commercialization Prize in Jordan
NEX-LABS’ NEXUS Commercialization Prize is mainly directed at acquiring services for researchers that have obtained research results in the field of WEF-NEXUS towards enabling commercialization and the creation of spin-offs.
About the Prize and what covers:
This Prize will grant researchers/academics access to external expertise/mentorship/services that may include:
- Capacity building
- Business modeling
- Industry linkages
- Process development
What this Prize will not cover:
- Retaining staff or directors
- R&D costs
- Purchasing materials
- Travel expenses (as primary expense)
- Fee payment (as primary expense)
- Software licenses or development
Researchers from Jordan (eligible areas) and Lebanon requiring access to specific expertise and mentorship to effectively spin-off towards addressing NEXUS challenges, preferentially, with a link with the established NDOLLs.
The applications will be opened until 30th September 2023 terminated upon successfully awarding all available prizes. Awarding will be on a first come, first serve basis.
- The applicant must be in an eligible area (Jordan: Irbid, Al-Balga, Madaba, Al-Karak, Al-Trafilah, Al-Aqaba.)
- The online application is properly and sufficiently filled-in
- The applicant represents a researcher/academic and is anticipated to become a startup/spin-off
- The research results can be further developed into a product/service with potential NEXUS approach
- The applicant already has positive research results in the field of water, energy, or food
- Implementing the service is likely to have an impact in enabling commercialization through partnership and/or spin-off creation
NEX-LABS targeted territories, characterized by water scarcity/irregular rainfall/population distribution, reflect agriculture as largest user of water (70-90%) while future global warming projections (≈2ºC) involve summer precipitation (-10/-30%) threatening water availability (-2/-15%) and agricultural productivity (-12/-40%). The latent conflict between energy efficiency (≈60%) and water production is also increasing energy footprint/m 3 of water used to produce food. The predicted future shortfalls in Water/Energy/Food (WEF) requires a NEXUS approach.
In this context, NEX-LABS aims to support the implementation of clean technologies for sustainable and resilient increase of agri-food sector production based on a more efficient use of energy (renewable/solar solutions) and water (wastewater treatment, water harvesting or reuse solutions) in MPC region thanks to the contributions of ICT such as blockchain technology, Internet of the Things (IoT), Artificial Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning and Big Data.
NEX-LABS will contribute to the creation of a sustainable and resilient agro food sector based on NEXUS driven Open Living Labs (NDOLL) approach, thus strengthening technology transfer, cooperation industry-academia, increasing commercialization opportunities and innovation-driven growth.
For more information visit the project website.